Re: moving an installed Debian system onto RAID-1

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:05:00 MDT, Nate Duehr writes:
>>> However, when I boot with "Linux root=/dev/md3 ext3" it can't find a
>>>  valid ext3/ext2/reiserfs superblock on md(9,3). There's a couple lines
>>>  right before that that tell me that md is autodetecting RAID arrays
>>>  (can't copy/paste that for obvious reasons).
>>>
>>> Any hints/pointers? The various howtos etc. aren't all that
>>>  helpful for this kind of problem.

>>If you're running an initrd kernel, you'll need to create a new initrd
>>image that points to /dev/md3 instead of the physical disk.

Thanks, but I'm not using an initrd kernel in this case.

>obviously if you boot from one of the disks you would have to be ultra
>careful to mark the other disk as "bad" in the MD arrary before
>rebooting with RAID support or things would get very corrupted/messy
>quickly.

That's why I only have one "real" device in the set at the moment:
        device                  /dev/sdb3
        raid-disk               0
        device                  /dev/null
        raid-disk               1
        failed-disk             1

As soon as I can mount it as root-fs I'll add sda3 to the set.

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /