Re: apt-get dselect-upgrade

Thomas Adam wrote:
> Sam Halliday wrote:
> > but i recently ran `apt-get dselect-upgrade` and it seems to have a
> > memory of
> > all apps i originally wanted to pull over... is there any way i can
>
> Yes, that was meant to be run *after* you --set-selections!

yeah... i know, but at the time (2 weeks ago) i changed my mind after i ran the
command and preferred to use aptitude to generate a new list of installed
packages. i kinda thought it would be smart enough to use the current `dpkg
--get-selections` list, but apparently it remembers some other information as
well.

> > clear that
> > list, as i would like to be able to use `apt-get dselect-upgrade` for
> > other
> > reasons (namely a script to purge all uninstalled apps)
>
> Not easily -- and indeed, I think you need to take another approach to the
> problem, dselect-upgrade is not the means by which you should go about
> removing uninstalled apps. If you have yourself in that situation then
> you've broken your own system.

well i could easily use aptitude to purge packages... but since that is a pain
if i have more than 5 packages which i uninstalled, i'd prefer to use a scripted
approach. it's all too easy to type - instead of _, especially since _ on a
packge will only - its dependencies.

may i ask how this would suggest that i have a broken system? i fail to see the
reasoning.

> One suggestion I could make to you is an apt-get --reinstall install foo foo+

what would that achieve? i don't want to reinstall any applications, i just want
an easy way to purge the uninstalled package config files to save clutter.