Re: Disabling autoloading of oss sound modules using kernel-2.6.6 and discover2

> | the auto probing and alowed me to manually select alsa), but short of
> | rebuilding the kernel and not building the oss modules, I'm stuck.
> |
> | Has anyone manged to get this working yet?
>
> I don't know anything about discover, but you can tell modprobe not to
> load a module with an entry like this in /etc/modprobe.conf (or
> /etc/modprobe.d/Local.conf if you have a newer module-init-tools) :

I think the most proper way is to add the names of undesired modules
to /etc/discover.conf.  Actually it looks like maybe this has changed
to /etc/discover-modprobe.conf.

There's a section for skipping modules:

# Don't ever load the foo, bar, or baz modules.
#skip="foo bar baz"

What I did was determine which OSS modules the retarded thing was loading, and
then add them to this list.  One of the ALSA packages comes with a
pre-compiled list of all OSS modules that you can add to this in this fashion
if you want.  I forget the details on that, but it's in there somewhere.

Anyway, the best thing to do IMHO is get rid of discover.  It's more trouble
than it's worth in my book keeping up with coaxing it away from doing stupid
things.  I had nearly every module it wanted to load for me skipped because
it was loading things in the wrong order, so I just pulled the plug on
discover entirely.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/