unmount / ?

Due to various instabilities on my machine which I cannot identity: but
possibly due to being overclocked; or instabilities in the fglrx ATI
driver; or instabilities in ReiserFS, periodically I get some ReiserFS
corruption.  I keep a lot of backups.

For everything besides /, I can unmount then and run fsck on the
partitions.  fsck.reiserfs has a couple of options (--fix-fixable) and
(--rebuild-tree) that I occasionally need to run.

But I can't even do this at all to /, because it's in use.  I don't have
another linux partition to boot into; and it's probably important to use
the latest reiserfstools since I always run the latest kernel.  Knoppix
has issues with my hardware.

Is there some way to unmount /?  I saw that if you set the last column
in fstab to 1 it is supposed to do a check at boot, but couldn't get
that to work.  If I had some sort of initrd / ramdisk kernel could I
unmount / and work on it?