Re: program starts with 3 threads

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 16:09, jono wrote:
> testing/unstable 2.4.25 i686
>
> When I run a daemon (written for a telephony card) or the expect
> application which uses the daemon, they both start with 3 processes.
> I've noticed the same behavior with S20xprint and nautilus.
>
> The same daemon and application on redhat9 (2.4.20-8 i686) starts with
> only the one process.  Its causing errors in our application so I was
> wondering if there was any reason for this and if it is debian specific?
>
> TIA, please cc direct.  Regards, Jono.

Hi Jono,

My memory on this is a little rusty now. However I believe the story
goes as follows:

With normal versions of the Linux 2.4.x kernel, the "ps" command shows
each *thread* as a separate process.

The new Linux 2.6.x kernel has a completely rewritten threading
implementation and "ps" shows only 1 entry for a multi-threaded process.

RedHat has a tradition of distributing fairly heavily patched kernels; I
believe that they included the new threading model into the 2.4.x kernel
that was included with RH9.

I suspect the app you are concerned about is starting *1* process with
*3* threads. If that is the case, then what you are seeing on Debian is
normal for distributions running 2.4.x kernels. RH9, despite running a
2.4-based kernel behaves more like 2.6.x due to special patches in its
kernel version.

I remember this because RH9's early adoption of the new threading
implementation broke many many applications (eg IBM MQSeries), and I
cursed them for it vigorously.

Regards,

Simon