Re: fast, tabbed, gnome/wm- compliant terminal

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:33, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know how to get the icons of here?:
> >

> http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/Klaus_Umbach-1280x1024/screenshot.png
> > http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/
>
> I believe they're icons distributed with ROX-filer. A persual of the
> screenshots there:
>
> http://rox.sf.net
>
> and indeed here:
>
> http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/ThemeGallery
>
> Might help you.

OK, here's the problem with FVWM:

After
- spending the last few hours with an additional VT running an extra X
session,
- running FVWM,
- reading about 10% of the nearly 8000 lines of 'man fvwm'
- having a browse on the websites pointed to,
- reading a little of the FAQ,
- the READMEs and other docs in /usr/share/doc/fvwm,
- search all 'apt-cache search fvwm' related packages
- finally figuring out the root menu and running the basic config
application (ugly motif-like appearance)
- having bizzarre things happen with my primary (GNOME) session when
going from metacity to fvwm back to metacity
- having a brief play with FvwmCommand (and reading at least some of its
man page)

I have no idea how to make a nice session with pretty themed panels!

Whereas in GNOME, I can click to
MENU -> Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Theme

and play with different themes very easily, finding something appealing
to my taste.

Given current work deadlines I could barely afford the day (today) I've
spent trying to get a terminal that remembers it's virtual desktop
location, and isn't so slow it drives me bloody bonkers.

So, I hereby give up. I shall simply log out of X and back in if the
lagginess gets too annoying. That's more efficient than spending an
unknown further amount of time trying to get one of the many alternative
environments working to a basic satisfactory level.

Thanks for the pointers though - and when I figure out how to scroll
back through screens scrollback buffer, I might even use that more
often. At least, it's useful to run stuff on remote hosts, so solved a
real problem there...

Exasperated
Zen