Re: init scripts?

Thomas Adam wrote:

--- MillTek <mill.tek@verizon.net> wrote:
HI,
There are several things I'd like to do at boot time, includingstart bootlogd and syslog. I've been told to set up an 'init script' etc. Where do you do this? Is there a specific script that is always accessed and if so which one?

I answered this in another thread not so long ago:

1. As far as bootlogd is concerned, do the following:

# apt-get install bootlogd
# vi /etc/default/bootlogd , and make sure the only line in there looks
like:

BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

As for syslog this is automatically started up. If you find you're missing
symlinks to the scripts the you can do one of two things:

1. man update-rc.d
2. dpkg-reconfigure <package>

(You might also find the package 'rcconf' useful for such tasks).

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish you for all of them at once when you get better. The experience will probably kill you. :)"

I just tried apt-get install bootlogd. It can't find it. I tried 'apt-get update' and re-tried the install. Still no go.

I tried apt-cache search 'various-versions-of-bootlogd' and had no luck either??

Also, I'd still like the name of one of the standard scripts that I can change to have it do stuff. Maybe one of the final scripts the regular boot process uses??

Thanks,
Jim