Re: automatically restarting dying daemons?

On Wed, Jun 30 at 11:20PM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:43:54 -0500
> Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
> > at http://backports.org, i search for "restartd" and get
> >
> > 	Sorry, no packages found.
>
> At the risk of starting a flamewar about whether djb's tools
> are a good way to do things or not... :-)
>
> Have you looked at daemontools? apt-cache show
> daemontools-installer, apt-cache show svtools. The sole
> purpose of daemontools is to make sure a program keeps running
> properly. I have successfully used it on occasion when I was
> working with a program that was known for crashing, but didn't
> consider the program important enough to make it run
> dependably. daemontools worked great.

the documentation is a bit terse at http://cr.yp.to/ -- can the
"run" script be

	#!/bin/bash
	/etc/init.d/some-daemon-here restart

which is effectively a "start-some-thing &" and quick return...

or does it need to be the non-returning call to the daemon
itself, so that the daemon is a child of the "supervise"
process? if so, ick.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #44 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Ever think you're reading OUTDATED DOCUMENTATION? Check the
last-revised-date: if it's more than a few years ago, then
there's probably something more recent out there. It may
be under a whole different name, so it'll take perseverance
and determination on your part. Be alert -- you'll find it!