Re: Is this a bug in mutt or a malformed email?

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 05:21:37PM -0600, CW Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 10:43:06PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> > A poster to a pigeon rescue group I'm on posts in
> > multipart/alternative format, HTML and plain text.
> >
> > Normally, when reading his emails, mutt (woody, 1.3.28-2) happily
> > displays the plain text part and ignores the HTML.
> >
> > However, when he quotes one of my PGP-inline-signed posts, and doesn't
> > the plain text part doesn't exist and gives me the "text/html is
> > unsupported (use 'v'......)" message.
> >
> > If I edit the received email and add a space at the beginning of
> > "-----BEGIN PGP....", or change one character of that line, mutt is
> > then happy and displays the plain text part without problems.
> >
> > I am not au fait with the fine details of email formatting, so I'm not
> > sure if this is a bug in mutt's handling of a correctly-formed
> <snip>
>
> Nor am I, however I did save your attachment to a file and could not
> duplicate the behaviour you see, but this is with Mutt 1.5.5.1+cvs20040105i
> on a mostly Sarge system. (Also, just tested on a home box with mutt
> 1.5.3i - no problem.)
>
> Perhaps an upgrade of mutt would fix this?
>
> I notice there is a backport of mutt 1.5.6 on backports.org.

Installed the backports.org version and now it displays the plain text
part correctly.

So I deduce that (a) this is a bug in mutt, albeit not in the BTS; (b)
it's only in woody's mutt; (c) there's no point reporting it as it is
not security-related and therefore will never get fixed in woody, also
sarge will hopefully become stable fairly soon and stable will then
have a version of mutt without the bug.

Many thanks.

--
Pigeon