Re: skype: Internet telephony

Brian Potkin wrote:

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:38:07AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

Brian Potkin wrote:

Depends on what you mean by a 'sane user'.  Such a user might want to
use a product which

(a) is capable of communicating with the rest of the VOIP world,
(b) doesn't tie you to a particular communications provider,
(c) supports standard protocols,
(d) is not closed and proprietary,
(e) is free.

Skype might be very good technically but it doesn't fulfill any of these
criteria whereas SIP based software and hardware is available which does.

Debian is a religion: it has nothing to do with being sensible or sane.

I'd rather view Debian as a volunteer organisation endeavouring to
produce the best free operating system possible.  What could be more
sane and sensible than that?

And many religious organisations, Christian and other, will say much the same of themselves and their objectives

You use close and proprietary software, so you shouldn't make that a requirement:-)

Apologies if I misunderstand you here but I hope you are not asserting I
use non-free software.  If it was absolutely essential and there was no
free alternative I would, but as it happens I have not yet had that
situation arise.

You most certainly do.

The point I was trying to make was that there is standards based
software which is an alternative to Skype and which is well worth
investigating.

I was asking about Skype, not about alternatives. Given that it comes from the same stable as one of the better-known spyware programs, it sparked my interest.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait