Re: skype: Internet telephony

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 10:10:04PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> Has anyone tried this?
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2762250480.html
>
> Given its parentage I'd pay close attention to my firewalls and what
> hosts it accesses and how.
>
> I'm very curious as to how well it does what a sane user would want:-)

Depends on what you mean by a 'sane user'.  Such a user might want to
use a product which

(a) is capable of communicating with the rest of the VOIP world,
(b) doesn't tie you to a particular communications provider,
(c) supports standard protocols,
(d) is not closed and proprietary,
(e) is free.

Skype might be very good technically but it doesn't fulfill any of these
criteria whereas SIP based software and hardware is available which does.

Brian.