Re: Changing options in install procedure

John Wisniewski wrote:

Now, I seem to remember that the installation steps asked me last September
whether xdm or kdm or gdm should be my X server.  This newer installation
set never asked me for that option.  Did I forget to specify something when
I started?  I also don't see an option for samba configuration.
It probably means you did not install the relevant packages as part of your install (whether you used tasksel, or dselect, or what).

To install X, try "apt-get install x-window-system".

To install KDE, try "apt-get install kde" (which will probably install kdm).

To install a login manager, such as kdm and wdm, try "apt-get install wdm kdm". Once you have more than one login manager installed, this command (or "dpkg-reconfigure [xdwk]dm") will ask which login manager you want to use.

To install Samba, try "apt-get install samba smbfs smbclient swat". swat will give you a web-browser-enabled means of configuring Samba (see "man swat").

--
Kent