Re: Newbie installation

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:28, Martin Dowie wrote:
> > You haven't said whether you're running the command line login because
> > you prefer it or because X won't start.   Assuming that isn't your
> > problem...
>
> No - I'd love a GUI front-end to start but I only have command line - any
> help much appreciated...

OK.   Usually, 'startx' should start up X with whatever desktop is set as the
default.   (Time enough to worry if it's the one you want when X is running).

In my experience, getting X to work is the most common problem with a new
Linux install.   This may be partly 'cos I often have second-hand no-name
bits of gear with no manuals...

Anyway, after you've logged in, type 'startx' and see what happens.   You'll
probably find the screen goes through a few convulsions then drops back to
the command line with a swag of error messages.   If you're lucky, the
messages may give a clue to fixing the setup.    If the X screen comes up
hopelessy screwed (e.g. sync rates so far off you can't control it) then
Ctrl-Alt-F1 or -F2  should get you back to a command line.   (Ctrl-Alt-F7
will get you the X screen again).

The X configuration is kept in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.   When you
installed debian, the installer should have produced one for you.   Or,
running the program  xf86config  (note the difference in case) will create a
file for you.   You can edit it with any editor, (but keep the original so
you know where you started).

Try that for starters....

cr