Re: Newbie installation

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:54, Martin Dowie wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm a first-time GNU/Linux (wanna-be) User although I have some Un*x
> experience. I've downloaded all 14 Sarge .iso CDs and have happily managed
> to get a system that will now boot to a command line after installing from
> CD1. I used the default partitioning for multi-users.
>
> I notice that while booting there are several failures - but the screen is
> flying by at this point and I can't see what they are. Is there a 'boot
> log' I can 'cat|more' though?
>
> I'm also now at a lose as to how to install stuff from the other CD's - in
> particular I would like GNOME as my desktop environmnet and to be able to
> use my Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem. I've searched high and low for a
> Debian installation guide for dummies but I either find stuff that is more
> "... for Experts" or I find 1,000's of hits that don't really seem to cover
> what I want. Can someone recommend a link for me as to what to do now?
>
> TIA
>
> -- Martin

At the risk of being shot by the experts, 'cos I'm pretty much of a newbie
myself....  and all these comments apply to Woody, unless they've changed
things I guess Sarge oughta be the same....

You haven't said whether you're running the command line login because you
prefer it or because X won't start.   Assuming that isn't your problem...

I imagine Sarge has both KDE and Gnome installed, it's just a matter of
launching the right one.

If that's the case, then you need to set the x-session-manager symlink   i.e.
ln  -s  /usr/bin/gnome-session  /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager
(the KDE equivalent in Woody is   /usr/bin/kde2)

Then 'startx' should start up X with Gnome, assuming XF86Config-4 is set
correctly.

Installing stuff off the other CD's, you can use  'apt-get' or 'apt-cdrom'
or you can be lazy (like me) and use a graphical front-end like Kpackage.

Chris