Re: Login Shell/Profile: Stop the Madness

Michael B Allen wrote:
>   exec -l $SHELL -c "$STARTUP"
> [...]
> Rather than creating an alternative xfree86-common package, it would
> really be better to just fill out a bug report and try to speak with the
> maintainer. I'll look into it.

martin f krafft previously posted a bug against kdm and there has been
some discussion logged.  I just posted a summary of the various d-u
discussions there.

I like the technique of using #!/bin/bash for Xsession and then using
'exec -l' to start the shell.  It seems like a better solution than
~/.xsession using a login shell.  It promotes compatibility between
distros.  It solves a long running problem for newbies.  It loads the
login environment regardless of using [gkx]dm 'default' or selecting a
specific window manager.

Bob

--
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>