RE: Login Shell/Profile: Stop the Madness

Freivald, Joseph A, GVSOL said:
> Ok, so I'm pretty new to Debian, and I have never created a .deb package
> (except for the kernel using the kernel tools), but isn't this the kind
> of thing that could be put into a package so that people who want it
> could install it?  I mean, if I'm reading this thread right, that if the
> correct solution is to alter a few scripts and put some other scripts
> into the default-user directory so that when new users are created they
> get those files

There are no new files. The change is very simple.

Ultimately the correct solution is to edit
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start to read:

  exec -l $SHELL -c "$STARTUP"

Note: the quotes around $STARTUP are important.

This will exec the session manager through the user's default shell. The
shell will be a "login shell" which should perform whatever it needs to
when logging in (ie. source the profile).

This will work with any session selected by the *dm menu unlike the
.xsession technique which is just a hack.

Rather than creating an alternative xfree86-common package, it would
really be better to just fill out a bug report and try to speak with the
maintainer. I'll look into it.

Mike