Re: kerenls: hand-rolled v. stock

on Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:29:07PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen insinuated:
[...]
> in general, is there much of an advantage to hand-rolling over
> grabbing a stock kernel?  i feel like everything i probably want to
> insert as a module (soundcore; usb; whatever) should be available in
> a stock kernel.

aha -- just learned the hard way why one would roll one's own kernel
vs. just grabbing a stock one:  one runs out of space in /lib (and
thus, for me, on /) if one grabs a stock kernel with everything one
would EVER want compiled in as a module ... kind of problematic, that.
think i'll stick to rolling my own from now on :)

thanks for your responses, all.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++