Re: kerenls: hand-rolled v. stock

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:29:07 -0400, Nori Heikkinen
<nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

> i'm looking into grabbing a new kernel (because the one i'm using
> doesn't appear to have the "soundcore" option either compiled in or as
> a module -- can i fix this without updating kernels?).

Get the sources for the kernel you are running - if its a debian
binary then the matching sources should be somewhere. If you can
enable the soundcore by only pressing 'm' rather than 'Y' in the make
menuconfig bit then the resulting kernel (if you built it) would not
be different to your current one; you can safely build the modules,
copy them into /lib/modules; depmod -a, and modprobe 'em without a
reboot.

If you have to press 'Y' you *may* have to use a new kernel. Sometimes
(I think) you need to press Y to expand a sub-menu section and it
doesn't impact the kernel- other times skeleton code is turned on
meaning the modules would not work with your current one.

> in general, is there much of an advantage to hand-rolling over
> grabbing a stock kernel?  i feel like everything i probably want to
> insert as a module (soundcore; usb; whatever) should be available in a
> stock kernel.

Well I build my own because I don't want a framebuffer, initrd or
compressed kernel image. I use the pristine sources because I didn't
agree with the backporting stuff that Xu insisted on putting in the
main kernels. The situation may be changing regarding the debian
kernel as we speak.

--
Jon Dowland