Re: optimizing X configuration

linuxnand@netscape.net wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Toshiba PII Equium 7000S desktop with 256mb of Ram and an inboard ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP that has 32mb shared memory configured to it. The monitor is a Gateway EV910 and is properly configured in my XF86Config-4.

However I can only do 800x600 with either 16 or 24 bits of depth. I would like to do more. Do I have to buy another video card or is there any way to improve this configuration?

Look in /var/log/XFree86.log.0 to see if it reports how much video RAM is being found. If it's not 32 MB, you may need to specify the amount of video RAM; you can do so by re-running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86".

If that's not the problem, you might need to try a different video driver. I assume you're using the "ati" driver? You might try the "vesa" driver. (Or vice-versa).

You can also put your XF86Config-4 file on a web server, and then post that link. That way we can look at your file without it cluttering up the list itself. Same for log files.

--
Kent