Re: Questions about x window environment (kdm and xdm)

linuxnand@netscape.net wrote:

I have later installed xdm and kdm and changed /etc/inittab to have run level 5.
By default, Debian run-levels 2-5 are identical. On other distros the different run levels distinguish between text-mode and GUI-mode. IOW, changing /etc/inittab to run 5 accomplished nothing. I'd suggest changing it back so that your system is "normal" for a Debian system.

When it starts it tries to run kdm but then crashes. If I type manually then either xdm and kdm work. What do I need to edit/change to overcome this problem?
The problem is almost certainly because X is having trouble with your video or mouse setup. I'll get to this in a moment.

The message I get after it boots is:

Starting K Desktop Manager: kdm
Not Starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager.

Then it shows the text login screen. It looks like that it is trying to load both kdm and xdm.
There are four popular login managers in Debian: gdm, xdm, kdm, and wdm. You can have all four (or any combination) installed. Debian does "the right thing" and configures your system (using the "alternatives" method) to only run the one you choose to run. These are started by scripts, and in this case, the script for xdm is running, seeing that it is not the one you've chosen to be the default, and gracefully doesn't start xdm. kdm on the other hand, seeing that it is the default, tries to start, and runs into some problem (probably video or mouse settings).

You can change your default login manager with "dpkg-reconfigure [xgkw]dm" (pick your choice of x, g, k, or w).

Now, on to your problems.

Since kdm is failing to start X, you can manually try to start X with the "startx" command. Try this, and when it fails (as I'm sure it will), there'll be some text on the screen (Shift-PgUP will let you scroll up). Look for errors in that text, particularly any line that starts with "(EE)". You should be able to find the same info (and perhaps more) by looking in the log file at "/var/log/XFree86.log.0".

Almost certainly you'll see something like "No usable screens found" or "Mouse not found". You can then tinker with the video and mouse settings with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86".

--
Kent