Re: Well, time to cut to the bone...

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:30:12 +0200, cecil wrote:
> install. Setting up power management, I can read up on it.

If the laptop's old enough to have a 2 gig drive, it most likely will
have apm (which simply works) rather than acpi (which needs a lot of
work).

> that too can be worked around. But does anyone know how much space the
> "base" install for debian takes up? I was going to dual boot to dos(250
> meg). All I need is my development stuff(pretty much already included),
> the pcmcia package, and X. Well, I don't NEED X, but it would be nice.

I don't know about base, but I've got a working laptop here with
enough for me on ~600Mb of a 2 gig drive. Debian sarge with X, LaTeX,
firefox, dillo, fluxbox (rather than gnome or kde) and openoffice,
enough to make a usable system for me. Dev software could end up
taking a lot of space, once you start getting away from the core C
libraries.

--
Stephen Patterson http://patter.mine.nu/
steveSPAM@.patter.mine.nu  remove SPAM to reply