Re: Well, time to cut to the bone...

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:30:49 -0500, cecil <xeys_00@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yay! My "new" winbook fx is within a truck drive away. Seeing a how its
> a 150mhz machine with 32 meg ram and 2 gig hd, I need to start thinking
> about how to set this up to be my school laptop. I know linux will
> install. Setting up power management, I can read up on it. The memory,
> that too can be worked around. But does anyone know how much space the
> "base" install for debian takes up? I was going to dual boot to dos(250
> meg). All I need is my development stuff(pretty much already included),
> the pcmcia package, and X. Well, I don't NEED X, but it would be nice.
> How much space does Gnome take up? Is it better just using twm? Any
> ideas? I ran RH 4.1 back in 97 on the exact same machine, and I was
> using X with no problem back then. Any reason I will run into problems?
> I'll probably install mozilla, xmms, and gnome, unless its too big. Some
> sort of simple office suite also, I guess.
>
> Cecil
>
> Hey, it only cost me 71 bucks for it; it's hard to beat that for a
> school computer.

Figures I have to hand ..
I recently installed woody/stable (as much as debootstrap gave me), a
sane gcc toolchain, and X4.3, Ximian Desktop 2 (including mozilla &
xmms) and OpenOffice backports from linux.upsa.es .. a total 1.2Gb.  I
wasn't trying to conserve space, however, you may manage less simply
by paying attention to how much you're installing.

Sarge/testing as per debootstrap .. no kernel/toolchain yet, weighed
in at 164M (including 33Mb apt cache)

HTH,
 Shaun

( Appologies for sending off-list the first time around, webmail only
at work .. horrible list handling )