Re: Another "testing" vs "unstable" question

Brian Astill wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:04 am, David Fokkema wrote:

that's what the point releases are for. Woody release schedule:

	- Debian 3.0, July 19, 2002
	- Debian 3.0r1, December 16, 2002
	- Debian 3.0r2, November 21, 2003

Oh well, that at least tells me what 3.0rn means. That's something, little though it is.

And I _think_ the third point release has been put off because of
sarge.

So ... ??

Look, the issue WAS "testing" vs "unstable". Some people think that not only the decision but its implementation is a simple matter. It isn't.

My ISP does what many do - set up a multiple mirror site for the use of its members. Debian is included. I'd like to start up a Debian "testing" system from an install CD - I gather you can't do this for the "unstable" branch. In order to do this I really need jigdo - to just download a complete CD (or CDs) as I can with every other Linux distro or BSD, is de rigeur.

BTW what is wrong with a clear major/minor dot numeric system, rather than woody/sarge/sid/potato/whatever=stable/testing/unstable(which is really quite stable anyway)/something ?

MY ISP's relevant debian directories look like this:
/debian-cd/hurd directory
You don't want anything under hurd. It's incomplete, and probably less stable than unstable.

(four off) GNU-K4-CD1.iso
(four off) hurd-J2-CD1.iso

/debian-cd/images/current/i386/ directory
(seven off) debian-30r2-i386-binary-1.iso
That's Woody, aka Stable

/debian-cd/images/woody/i386/ directory
(seven off) debian-30r2-i386-binary-1.iso
So's that

debian-cd/jigdo/current/i386/ directory
does NOT contain jigdo, but files like this:
(seven off) woody-i386-1.jigdo (seven off) woody-i386-1.template
Yeah, you download those then fill in the template with jigdo, not necessarily from the same source. If you had an older Woody it would be a good way to get your CDs updated.

Whither testing (sarge?)

Check the Debian Weekly News and look for announcements about Debian Installer betas. Get the latest and use that: it's one CD and not especially large. Install the rest off the net if you can.

What does all this mean? And Monique and others think this is simple???
Everything is simple when you understand it:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait