Re: Another "testing" vs "unstable" question

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:04 am, David Fokkema wrote:

> that's what the point releases are for. Woody release schedule:
>
> 	- Debian 3.0, July 19, 2002
> 	- Debian 3.0r1, December 16, 2002
> 	- Debian 3.0r2, November 21, 2003

Oh well, that at least tells me what 3.0rn means.  That's something,
little though it is.

> And I _think_ the third point release has been put off because of
> sarge.

So ... ??

Look, the issue WAS "testing" vs "unstable".  Some people think that not
only the decision but its implementation is a simple matter. It isn't.

My ISP does what many do - set up a multiple mirror site for the use of
its members.  Debian is included.  I'd like to start up a Debian
"testing" system from an install CD - I gather you can't do this for
the "unstable" branch.  In order to do this I really need jigdo - to
just download a complete CD (or CDs) as I can with every other Linux
distro or BSD, is de rigeur.

BTW what is wrong with a clear major/minor dot numeric system, rather
than woody/sarge/sid/potato/whatever=stable/testing/unstable(which is
really quite stable anyway)/something ?

MY ISP's relevant debian directories look like this:
/debian-cd/hurd directory
 (four off) GNU-K4-CD1.iso
 (four off) hurd-J2-CD1.iso

 /debian-cd/images/current/i386/ directory
 (seven off) debian-30r2-i386-binary-1.iso

 /debian-cd/images/woody/i386/ directory
 (seven off) debian-30r2-i386-binary-1.iso

 debian-cd/jigdo/current/i386/ directory
 does NOT contain jigdo, but files like this:
  (seven off) woody-i386-1.jigdo
  (seven off) woody-i386-1.template

  Whither testing (sarge?)

  What does all this mean?

And Monique and others think this is simple???

--
Regards,
Brian