Re: NFS mount very very slow

James Sinnamon wrote:

Dear list subscribers,

At first I thought my command:

mount -t nfs 192.168.0.6:/etc /mnt/nfs
... had failed.  It seemed to have hanged.  I tried to kill it with
Ctrl^C, then with 'kill -SIGKILL <procid>', killing the Konsole tabbed
terminal ... but with no luck.
The process just would not die.

Eventually, I found, to my surprise, that that the 'mount' command
had not only withstood all my attempts to smother it, but it also
succeeded after all. I don't know whether it took 15 minutes or two hours, but whatever the time lag was, it it had taken far too long. can anyone tell me how to work out what the problem could be? The entry in 192.168.0.6:/etc/exports is:
 /etc  192.168.0.2(ro)

.... where 192.168.0.2 is the nfs client.

Probably, lockd isn't running on 0.6. lockd handles locking, and if it's not responding you get these enormous timeouts. I suppgest you find out why, but since you're mounting ro then this is acceptable too:

mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.0.6:/etc /mnt/nfs

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait