Re: XTerm resources: disabling bold characters

Thomas Dickey wrote:
dircha <dircha@dircha.com> wrote:
However, when I use the XTerm menu to change (as I do regularly) the font to Huge (10x20) or anything else and then later back to 7x14 (Medium, and also Default now), text is rendered using bold characters or overstriking (whichever of the two it is).

I can reproduce this - looks like a bug.  Essentially what's happening
is that the first time it's using the resource settings, but the logic
as I rewrote it around patch #181 (2003/10/26), lost the value of the
bold font in the menu logic.

.Xdefaults contains:
!! Use colors
XTerm*VT100*colorMode: on

!! Don't overstrike when font and boldFont are the same
XTerm*VT100*boldMode: off
That should work - my trace says both are the same size:

	VTRealize
	xtermLoadFont normal 7x14
	same_font_size height 14/14, min 7/7 max 7/7
	Will use internal line-drawing characters
	Will not use 1-pixel offset/overstrike to simulate bold

XTerm*VT100*font: 7x14
XTerm*VT100*boldFont: 7x14

when switching back, it shows

	SetVTFont(i=4, f_n=<null>, f_b=<null>)
	xtermLoadFont normal 7x14
	...derived bold -Misc-Fixed-bold-R-Normal--14-130-75-75-C-70-ISO8859-1
	same_font_size height 14/14, min 7/7 max 7/7
	...got a matching bold font
	same_font_size height 14/14, min 7/7 max 7/7
	Will not use internal line-drawing characters
	Will not use 1-pixel offset/overstrike to simulate bold

but see the f_b=<null>, which tells me that it isn't using the original
bold resource (will have to study & fix that).

But the choice of bold font shouldn't be directly related to color.

My trace shows me that colorAttrMode is initially off.  Also colorBD
(which I assume you meant to set).  Setting those, I do get color for
the bold attribute.  So you can do that, and it should work.  (The
bug is still a bug - I'll fix that).

This does what I wanted.

There are enough options that I figured the odds were there was something I had missed.

Thank you.

And you're right of course. I will go ahead and copy the relevant text to bugs.debian.org against the xterm package so that it will be there in the event someone else encounters the actual bug here.

dircha