Re: virtual consoles unresponsive

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 07:24, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 16:16, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 14:49, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> > > So the problem
> > > seems to be strictly with the display.
> > >
> > > An interesting item is that after awhile (an hour or so) when I take
> > > another look at the console, I'll press the shift key on the keyboard
> > > and the kdm display will appear.  I can then log in to a normal kde
> > > session.  Everything works.  But when I log out of the kde session the
> > > console goes dark and I'm right back to where I started.
> >
> > Ah... HA!
> >
> > I have a hunch.
> >
> > Try another monitor on it. Let us know.
>
> Well???? How'd you fix it. Was it the Monitor? We'd like to know mainly
> not to MOCK you, as we have all had those things, but for the knowledge
> kept in the Debian List Archives.

Sorry about the delay.  Had to deal with other emergencies (the urgent
vs. the important).  Haven't fixed it yet.  Another monitor made no
difference.

I did some more googling on resetting video cards and found some
references to people who have had their video cards stop working after X
crashed.  It seems that if X doesn't quit properly it can leave the
video card in an unusable state (at least for text mode).  The solution
is to use some scripts from svgalib called savetextmode and textmode.
These scripts use the program restoretextmode to save the current state
of the video cards registers in some temporary files.  Later, if you
start having a problem with your video card, you can run textmode which
will restore the registers from the temporary files and, hopefully,
bring the video card back into working order.  Unfortunately, you have
to run savetextmode when the video is working correctly (e.g.
immediately after a reboot), so I haven't had a chance to try this yet.
The system is working except for the video and I don't want to bring
everybody down just yet, so it'll be a day or so before I get around to
rebooting the system.

If you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks.