Re: virtual consoles unresponsive

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 08:48, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> I've lost the ability to switch virtual consoles on my Woody system.
> One of the sysadmins logged in as the backup user through the kdm
> desktop and when he logged out the monitor went dark.  Now we can't
> switch to a virtual console using Ctrl-Alt-Fn, nor can we switch to the
> kdm desktop with Ctrl-Alt-F7.  I've seen something like this happen on
> other linux systems before and my only solution was to reboot.  I hate
> to do that for something so stupid.  Is there some way to restore this
> functionality with rebooting the system?

I've done some more investigation.  It appears that something has
happened to the video system.  I can press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then type in
the username and password and when I check from an SSH connection I can
see that I have successfully logged in on tty1.  But I can't see
anything on the console screen.  I then pressed Ctrl-Alt-F7 and then
pressed Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X server.  When I did that the
monitor's LED light went green for a moment as if it were about to
display some video, but then it went orange again indicating that there
was no video.  Again I have seen this behavior before where the video
system is somehow munged.  Does anyone know how to fix it without
rebooting?  This is a server being used by other people and I really
hate to take it down.