Re: virtual consoles unresponsive

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 10:46, Ricky Clarkson wrote:
> Perhaps you could take down the X server using /etc/init.d/xdm stop
> (or gdm or kdm if you use those).  That might give the monitor time to
> adjust itself, which restarting X wouldn't do.

I tried that, didn't help.

> If that gives you a shell, use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to
> sort out the config.
>
> If it doesn't, you could look at tools that reset the console (such as
> the command 'reset'), and possibly see whether the consoles actually
> work at all by typing things like 'eject' on them.

I tried running reset and still nothing.  I logged in blind on the
console and ran top, I then went to my ssh session and I could see that
I was logged in on tty1 and that tty1 was running top.  So the problem
seems to be strictly with the display.

An interesting item is that after awhile (an hour or so) when I take
another look at the console, I'll press the shift key on the keyboard
and the kdm display will appear.  I can then log in to a normal kde
session.  Everything works.  But when I log out of the kde session the
console goes dark and I'm right back to where I started.