Gnome 2.6 volume control applet not seeing audio channels?

"Paul Smith" <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com>
> I recently updated my sid box to all the latest stuff for the first
> time
> in a month or two, which got me from Gnome 2.4 to 2.6.  Once I

> Except one thing: the volume control applet on the panel doesn't work.
> It
> won't find any of the channels; like it can't find the audio devices.
> But, they're there!  I've tried removing it from the panel and
> re-adding
> it and it still doesn't work; if I try to open the volume control
> dialog
> it fails because there are no channels, and if I open the Preferences
> dialog there are no channels shown in the box (it's empty).

> Anyone have any ideas on where to look?

I had the same problem. Check out bug #250393 at

The solution is to install one of gstreamer-alsa, gstreamer-oss or
gstreamer-esd.

--
sridhar
[Sorry for the broken threading. I follow the list through the news