Re: kerenls: hand-rolled v. stock

If you don't need any specific patches for certain hardware drivers or
if most
modules you need are available, then rolling your own kernel isn't
necessary.
I always role my own kernel (it's easy in debian) to get the pinguin on
boot up and to slim down the kernel.

As for soundcore, i think it's in from the 2.4 kernels. If you don't
find
the module on your system, then maybe it wasn't compiled in.
To look for sound related config options in the kernel config:

grep "SOUND" /boot/config-<kernel version>

Regards,
Benedict