Unable to edit KDE menu

Hello all,

Just installed KDE on my work and home PCs to test it out - while I can edit the KDE menu at work, I can't edit the KDE menu at home - I open up "KDE Menu Editor", make the changes, save it, and then exit, but find the menu hasn't changed at all, and reloading KDE Menu Editor shows that the changes hasn't been done, though new icons I make are put in "Lost + Found".

I suspect it's related to me having a trimonitor setup - can anyone help?

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers