Re: kerenls: hand-rolled v. stock

on Thu, 24 Jun 2004 01:56:03AM +0200, Benedict Verheyen insinuated:

:) cute.

> and to slim down the kernel.

what advantage does this have?  does it make everything run faster,
even if everything that's in there is compiled as a module and maybe
not loaded, as opposed to into the kernel proper?

> As for soundcore, i think it's in from the 2.4 kernels.

i,m running 2.4.20, but apparently i started with the source and
rolled it myself.  as i said, it's been a while since i did this, so i
don't rememeber what i put in there and what i didn't -- but sound has
been working for me for the past year, so i'm really mystified as to
why this would be just coming up now.

> If you don't find the module on your system, then maybe it wasn't
> compiled in.  To look for sound related config options in the kernel
> config:
>
> grep "SOUND" /boot/config-<kernel version>

right, this is what i was forgetting!  thanks!

it appears that the only ones i have in there are the following:

orange:~> grep "SOUND" /boot/config-`uname -r` | egrep -v "^#"
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371=m
CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232=m
CONFIG_SOUND_SSCAPE=m
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m

and I don't see any option for SOUND_CORE or anything like it --
grepping for "CORE" doesn't yield anything.

it may be time to slip in a knoppix CD and see what modules it sticks
in when i get home today ...

thanks for your help and suggestions, as usual.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++