Re: Lots of problems - help please

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
Daniel Klein wrote:

I love apt-get for the easiness of installing things, but do any of you have any idea what a headache it is to find out what a certain package is called? If there was a simple 'list everything that's installed' (and I'm sure there is, I just can't find it) command, that would help already. There's xf86config, xf86cfg, dpkg-reconfigure whateverIhavetotype here and the settings in KDE. This is a damn headache, and I'd be infinitely grateful if someone could help me with this.

Which version of debian? In unstable you can do

#apt-get install apt-cache apt-file
those two utilities are just wonderful and saves you helluva time. Once they are installed, everything is a breeze. for example

$apt-cache show gvim
sorry that should be
apt-cache search gvim