Re: Lots of problems - help please

Daniel Klein wrote:

Also, I fail to remember what dpgk-reconfigure I have to run to do anything to my X Server.

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
 and/or
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common

It is absolutely foggy to me, why X runs KDE (I've looked around the X config files and found no mention of KDE at all). I wanted to try fvwm, just to see if that'd run bearably fast (we're talking Athlon TB 1200 / 512 MB RAM / very fast 200 gigs hd / Geforce 3). I have absolutely no clue how to do that in debian.

On a user-by-user basis, you can override the system default in several ways. The way I do it is to create the file ~/.xinitrc and put the name of the window manager/environment I want to run. Here's a portion of my current ~/.xinitrc file:

#sawfish
#icewm
#gnome-session
startkde
#flwm
#blackbox

I just uncomment whichever tool I want that day.

I believe you can change the system-wide default with:
 update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

You can update other alternatives as well; take a look in /etc/alternatives for the different items (which are symlinks, btw).

I love apt-get for the easiness of installing things, but do any of you have any idea what a headache it is to find out what a certain package is called? If there was a simple 'list everything that's installed' (and I'm sure there is, I just can't find it) command, that would help already. There's xf86config, xf86cfg, dpkg-reconfigure whateverIhavetotype here and the settings in KDE. This is a damn headache, and I'd be infinitely grateful if someone could help me with this.

Agreed; it can be a nightmare. Eventually you'll get the hang of a lot of it. Synaptic (in X) or aptitude can show you what's installed. I'm prettu sure that you can also see what's installed with dpkg ("dpkg --get-selections"?), but I'm not that familiar with all the ins-and-outs of dpkg.

The alt-tab behaviour is totally unbearable right now. I want to solve this somehow, but I have no idea what to do. I know this is the linux mailinglist joker, but I'm seriously considering going back to Windows for good, and that'd be after 3 years of using Linux and trying my best to manage it. I had such high hopes for debian as well, it seemed perfect :/

First, try a different window manager/environment (as outlined above) to see if the problem is in X or in KDE.

--
Kent