Re: moving to the 2.6 kernel?

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 18:07, John Summerfield wrote:
> Aaron Robertson-Hodder wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Just wondering if all you people are moving to 2.6 from Woody, Sarge or
> >sid? I have been trying to compile the 2.6.6 kernel on my Woody distro
> >and keep getting depmod errors.
> >
> >I've tried using a number of different configs as a starting point
> >(including the knoppix one) and still can't seem to get it right.
> >
> >I have now read that there may be issues with Woody going to 2.6. Is
> >that true? If so, I guess I'll try Sarge if that sounds like the best
> >option...
> >

> There's certainly more to going to 2.6 than just building the packages.
> There _is_ a 2.6 kernel and everything else  you need around, I found it
> and downloaded it a while ago.
>
> Support (security fixes) may be a problem with them, but that applies to
> Sarge too.
>
> Me, I went to Sarge. Sarge has 2.6 kernels up to 2.6.6.

If I remember correctly, Kernel 2.6 has a whole new module-loading
system that requires updated modutils stuff. This could explain your
depmod problems.

I believe the new tools are backwards-compatible, ie the new versions
work with 2.4 kernels too.

But from sarge it is *so* easy to do:
  apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.6-1-686
and have it all just happen.

Cheers,

Simon