ls120 Re: wd - Re: Hard Drive Limitations

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:

> My master drive is on the end of the cable, but that is not the WD drive.
> When installing, the ribbon was clearly marked on the connectors for
> master and slave.  This is a Gateway 500 running a Pentium III at 500 MHZ.
> The other drives are a CDROM mapped to /dev/hdc and an LS120 mapped to
> /dev/hdd which imposes curious limitations on my use of the LS120 as a
> floppy drive in that I cannot format diskettes on it from the Debian Linux
> woody bf2.4 system.

that is a different problem than master/slave issue ..
	ls120 is ez or hairpulling ...

make sure your lilo/grub config doesnt specify anything about /dev/hdd

and i would NOT mix ls120 on the same cable as the cdrom

- best way to avoid problems .. 1 "widget" per ide cable
	- if you insist on using  master and slave devices,
	make sure its from the same manufacturer and same model#

- otherwise, the scsi-folks will be happily smiling :-)
	- but now with 10K and 15K rpm ide disks, it should
	remove one more barrier that ide might be able to
	keep up with scsi for a fraction of the costs

c ya
alvin