Re: wd - Re: Hard Drive Limitations

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
>
> > > a. Drive is master, no slave
>
> that requires a jumper change on the disk -- or --
> the disk is on the master connector of the ide cable
>
> "cable select" might be an issue as you noted
>
> > > b. Drive is master, slave present
>
> keeps wd disks happpy, as long as the master disk is
> on the end of the ide cable
>
> > > c. Drive is slave.
>
> bad idea if it is the only disk, some bios' won't like you
>
> > > It will not work (on many systems) if you have it configured as a.
> > > when there's a slave present. It will not work (on many systems) if
> > > you have it configured as b. when there is no slave. There is info
> > > about this on WD's website.
>
> c ya
> akvin

My master drive is on the end of the cable, but that is not the WD drive.
When installing, the ribbon was clearly marked on the connectors for
master and slave.  This is a Gateway 500 running a Pentium III at 500 MHZ.
The other drives are a CDROM mapped to /dev/hdc and an LS120 mapped to
/dev/hdd which imposes curious limitations on my use of the LS120 as a
floppy drive in that I cannot format diskettes on it from the Debian Linux
woody bf2.4 system.