Re: Apache and CGI

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 08:19, Greg Sidelinger wrote:
> Ok I feel pretty stupid for even asking this but how do I make cgi
> scripts work with apache2 and unstable.  I did just the default
> install of apache2 and tried to run the test-cgi script and all I got
> for output was the script itself.  I know I have had this same
> problem before on unstable but for the life of me I can't figure out
> what I did to fix it.  The scripts are all 755 and nothing shows up
> in the error logs. I just got the script displaced which tells me
> that they are not being processed.
> The /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default config file has ExecCGI and a
> scriptalias for the directory but for the life of me I can't get
> apache to process the cgi scripts.  I'm using the apache2-mpm-prefork
> package. The the current config is the default from the packages.  If
> anyone can point me in the correct direction so I can test some
> simple programs please let me know what I'm over looking.

Have a look at your /etc/apache/httpd.conf -- it is pretty well
documented.

I think what you are looking for is a stanza for whichever directory you
want to run cgi scripts from.  Make sure you still have something like

<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/>    # or wherever
    AllowOverride None           # I forget what this is at the mo.
    Options ExecCGI              # This is the line in question
    Order allow,deny             # The usual access control thing...
    Allow from all               # ... or whatever
</Directory>

Read the rest of it as well while you are there.  It`s full of wisdom
which I have forgotten since I last looked...  (Which may also mean I`m
barking up the wrong tree)

HT(happens to)H
--
richard