Apache and CGI

Ok I feel pretty stupid for even asking this but how do I make cgi scripts
work with apache2 and unstable.  I did just the default install of apache2
and tried to run the test-cgi script and all I got for output was the script
itself.  I know I have had this same problem before on unstable but for the
life of me I can't figure out what I did to fix it.  The scripts are all 755
and nothing shows up in the error logs. I just got the script displaced which
tells me that they are not being processed.
The /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default config file has ExecCGI and a
scriptalias for the directory but for the life of me I can't get apache to
process the cgi scripts.  I'm using the apache2-mpm-prefork package. The the
current config is the default from the packages.  If anyone can point me in
the correct direction so I can test some simple programs please let me know
what I'm over looking.

Greg