Re: moving to the 2.6 kernel?

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 09:04:54AM -0400, stan wrote:
> If I want to build a new Debian machine to start expolring the 2.6 kernel
> what's the best way to go about this?

Others have answered with valuable information.

My experience with all the pc's on which I have installed the
2.6. kernels is that I have a problem getting gpm to start in the
normal bootup process.  The result is that when you use
kdm/wdm/xdm/gdm you can not use X11 because the mouse would would not
work (if your setup is such that you use gpm).  Then you have to go
back to the console and as root do "/etc/init.d/gpm restart" and
everything works OK.  I don't know why this is the case, but that was
my experience in at least 4-6 cases.  That is why I do not use the 2.6
kernel when I set up the pc for other users who are not very
comfortable with system administration.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the
      Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and
      ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price;
      therefore glorify God in your body, and in your
      spirit, which are God's."      I Corinthians 6:19,20