Re: moving to the 2.6 kernel?

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 10:25, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 09:04:54AM -0400, stan wrote:
> My experience with all the pc's on which I have installed the
> 2.6. kernels is that I have a problem getting gpm to start in the
> normal bootup process.  The result is that when you use
> kdm/wdm/xdm/gdm you can not use X11 because the mouse would would not
> work (if your setup is such that you use gpm).  Then you have to go
> back to the console and as root do "/etc/init.d/gpm restart" and
> everything works OK.  I don't know why this is the case, but that was
> my experience in at least 4-6 cases.  That is why I do not use the 2.6
> kernel when I set up the pc for other users who are not very
> comfortable with system administration.

Don't blame the new 2.6.x kernel for that! I'm experiencing the same drawback
using kernel 2.4.25. In a nutshell, with debian testing & a logitech optical
mouse  in my portable PC on a docking-station I have to go to a console and
restart gpm as you said if I want a "lively" mouse under X11 (either kdm or
gnome), while in another box (a desktop with the same configuration as the
portable) it all works perfectly.  I think this is due to an unfortunate
hardware combination rather than a software bug (or at most a software bug
for that specific hardware).
Ciao
Vittorio