Re: SA going downhill

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 13:31, Tony Godshall wrote:
> According to S.D.A.,
> > >
> > >     I think this thread has shown that many people have a gross misconception
> > > on how SpamAssassin works and how it is fundimentally different than the
> > > alternatives listed.  In every case the alternatives listed have been a pure
> > > Bayesian system.  SpamAssassin is *NOT* a Bayesian system.  It is a framework
> > > in which a Bayesian system is also included.
> >
> > I think I was pretty fair. The fact that the SA framework is slower (I know due
> > to the complexity), is a show stopper for me. If I can achieve better accuracy,
> > with less work, increased speed, with less system resources -- Then I've found a
> > winner. At least for MY needs. I respect and understand that  your needs may be
> > different.
>
> I personally also switched from SA to something else.
>
> I love the SA framework idea, but its bayesian implementation was such that
> spammers could easily get past it by spewing random words.
>
> So I switched to CRM114's mailfilter.
>
> But given SA's framework-of-methods methodology perhaps a
> better approach would have been to integrate the better
> learning filter into SA.

Take a look at these messages I had gotten SA is Kicking Arse and Taking
err... changing subjects!

http://www.gregfolkert.net/files/UltimateSpam.txt
http://www.gregfolkert.net/files/AnotherSpam.txt
http://www.gregfolkert.net/files/NewUltimateSpam.txt

Note that there are three distinct patterns to those three SPAM.

I was getting the "AnotherSpam" through quite a bit lately...

I added the RulesDuJour(RDJ) script to my Weaponry. I'd have to say,
"False Positives" are nearly non-existent (okay 1 out of about 28K
messages so far since I implemented RDJ) and "False Negatives" ARE
non-existent.

I dunno, but SA on my machine mail server, well, is pretty dern quick
and doesn't take up any more resources than any other application.
Currently I run a Zope Application, Postresql, MySQL, Apache with a butt
load of Modules, vhosting (why the butt load of modules) mod_perl,
mod_python, etc... In reality, the Zope app is the most hungry.

I still regard SA as a model to work by.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup