Re: bash profile not working

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:29:10PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> X under Debian does not source /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile. I don't
> know why exactly but the correct fix is to change the file:

Gods, I've seen you going on and on and on about this, and I wasn't going
to say anything, but...

Debian's X doesn't source those files because it's NOT SUPPOSED TO.  Why
would it?  Those are files related to shells.

If you're using startx to launch X, then they're already read.  If you're
using a display manager (xdm/gdm/kdm/wdm/whatever), then there's no shell
running, so they shouldn't be read.

Simple, huh?  If it bothers you, set environment variables in ~/.xsession
like normal people do.  There's no correct "fix" because nothing is broken.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Quality Control, n.: The process of testing one out
 msw@cox.net |     of every 1,000 units coming off a production line