Re: bash profile not working

John Taber said:
> I want to set some environmental variables - I tried putting them in
> bash_profile (which works in RH) but it doesn't seem to work

X under Debian does not source /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile. I don't
know why exactly but the correct fix is to change the file:

  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start

to read:

  exec -l $SHELL -c "$STARTUP"

That way the initial environment is delegated to the user's default shell
which in the case of bash will result in /etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile
being sourced.

Mike