Re: Another "testing" vs "unstable" question

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 04:37:12PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:35:32PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
>

> > Yes, unstable does indeed break sometimes, sometimes seriously so. But
> > in the five or so years I've been running Debian, I've seen far less
> > breakage on Debian unstable boxes than on Windows boxes (and much, much,
> > much more recoverability). So if you've been able to live with Windows
> > for the past few years, you can probably handle Debian unstable.
>
> Sure, but the apropos comparison is against SuSE or Mandrake or
> something, not Windows.  At least IMO.

Don't know whats their state now after they all adopted the apt
methodology, but it used to be near to impossible to upgrade those
systems. I used to run mandrake at work about two years ago and it took
me less then a month to break it in a way that needed resinstalling.

My previous computer running debian unstable ran fine for over six
years with constant upgrades (until I stopped using it and it moved to
my girlfriend who can't get used to linux). Actually it was an
installation that migrated between two computers and three different
hard-drives (went from 486 to PIII with no problem), not to mention the
exotic hardware it ran along the years.