Re: Another "testing" vs "unstable" question

Michael Satterwhite wrote:

On Sunday 20 June 2004 11:47, Chris Metzler wrote:
You're right that this happened recently with KDE in unstable.  What
you're not aware of is that something similar happened last year with
KDE in testing.  More specifically, last year, KDE was uninstallable
in testing for *several months*.

Whoa!!

You're right, I *DIDN'T* know that. I may need to rethink things.

Debian Stable isn't a good choice for me; packages running nearly 2 years old aren't a good thing.

Now I'm hearing that the current testing branch may not work either - and it's a given that the unstable won't from time to time.

How did you handle this?
I run stable on my important boxes, like servers, that need to be up 24x7, and I run unstable on my workstations. I have less pain on unstable workstations with their occasional breakages than I do on stable workstations with their ancient package versions. And I have _far_ less pain on unstable workstations than on any version of Windows-based workstation, even those with 1 GB of RAM on a 2.0 GHz P4 running Windows XP Professional and very little application software.

Yes, unstable does indeed break sometimes, sometimes seriously so. But in the five or so years I've been running Debian, I've seen far less breakage on Debian unstable boxes than on Windows boxes (and much, much, much more recoverability). So if you've been able to live with Windows for the past few years, you can probably handle Debian unstable.

--
Kent