Re: Secure VNC from Windows?

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 02:22:19AM +0800, Alexander Nordström wrote:
> On Monday, 21 Jun 2004 00:33, David Fokkema wrote:
> > Is there some sort of secure vnc available with a client running on
> > windows? Of course, on decent systems, ssh -X is the way to go. The
> > problem is that I can't just install a Cygwin environment or something
> > like that.
>
> Why not? What can you install, if anything?

Well, a program or two neatly placed in a folder with my name. No
registry links, please. And that's because it's not my machine.

> I personally have my parents SSH into my box using Putty (because their ISP
> does not allow incoming TCP connections to be established) and tunnel VNC
> through that so I can administer their poor Windows computers 13,450 km away
> and put more free software on them. The compression of SSH is even said to
> make this faster than unencrypted VNC.
>
> It's not quite clear from your question what you wish to do and what your
> constraints are, but putty, tunnel, and vnc would be good things to feed
> Google.

I did now, thanks! Now I know how to connect vnc to putty, which
connects to my machine, :-)

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!