Re: "sarge" install: "Install base system" bombs and disk errors (?)

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:08:59 -0400, Allen Williams wrote:
> and, on console alt-F4, I am getting these error messages:
>
> June 20 00:58:56 (none) syslog.warn klogd: hdc: media error (bad sector):
> status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

> Is there anyplace that tells me how to decode these error messages?

The usual decoding is "your disk is dying, hope you have a good backup. If
not, try to backup any data you want to keep NOW."

HTH,
Ray
--
[Open Source] is the finest expression of the free market. Ideas are
encouraged to proliferate and the best thinking wins. By contrast, most