"sarge" install: "Install base system" bombs and disk errors (?)

When I get to this stage in the installation, the system *appears* to hang-
when I check the alt-F3 console, there are two error messages:

modprobe: failed to load module floppy
eval: 3: Syntax error: newline unexpected (expected ")")

Also, is there a good reference on using logical partitions, and the
difference in partitions under sarge vs. woody?  The on-line documentation
is quite unclear about this; and, on console alt-F4, I am getting these
error messages:

June 20 00:58:56 (none) syslog.warn klogd: hdc: media error (bad sector):
status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
June 20 00:58:56 (none) syslog.warn klogd: hdc: media error (bad sector):
status=0x30
June 20 00:58:56 (none) syslog.warn klogd: end request: I/O error, dev 16:00
(hdc), sector 196

Is there anyplace that tells me how to decode these error messages?  When I
try to install woody, it only sees 134G of my 200G hard drive.  Is this
related?

TIA,
Allen